Sunday, November 6, 2011

Our Point-man's Conquest

Yesterday marked a milestone for Jared.  He made it through the entirety of the advanced circuit at Gateway Park.  Woot! Woot!  He called my mobile to let me know that although he'd completed the circuit, he'd also wiped out and bent his front rim.  However, other than the bent rim, our point man was ok, with no breaks and no bruises.




Congratulations, Jared!
Jared and Luke Skywalker after Jared's
completion of the advanced trail circuit.


Luke Skywalker and I stuck to the fast track
while Jared was off making his big hill climbs an his personal conquest in mountain biking achievement goals.  Lukas and I discovered a new spot we found interesting.  It was the first time we'd had access to it since riding Gateway due to it being blockaded off by the park police.  

What I thought was a concrete spill-way tube turned out to be a collapsed foot-path.  The ground had given way beneath it, and left 2/3rds of it dangling down the cliff side.


Lukas and I stepped out ont it to inspect the damage, and it looks as if the park is simply going to leave it hanging.  In my opinion it's a bad accident looking for a place to happen.  There are lots of little ones who walk with their families in the park.  Without any barriers, or at least a warning sign that it's there, I think it's inviting an injury.  Where we walked out on to the side that's still somewhat intact we saw where large cracks developing on that end of the broken structure as well.  It looks like it might collapse like the rest of the path any time.



Collapsed foot/cycle path on the Trinity
bordering Gateway Park
in Fort Worth, TX


I'm unsure if the collapse was due to the dry weather over the summer, or from a construction foul.  I just hope it didn't fall down the side of the cliff when anyone was walking or riding on it.  It's about sixty-plus feet from the path to the bottom of the river gorge below. 


Luke and I did the first two sets of the fast cirucuit twice, and the last set once.  I've been having an issue with a cramped nerve, causing some pain down my back-side, and all the way into my calf.  Riding has actually been helping relieve it.  But I noticed during the last two rides that I was getting uncomfortable before we finished our sets. 

The hill that marks the entrance to the advanced
trail section.



When Alicia (my sister) arrives in Texas during Thanksgiving Holiday, I'm in hopes she can get me un-kinked. 


We plan to ride again tomorrow morning, weather permitting.  We have morning showers forcasted for the area.  If it rains and the trails get wet, we'll have to cancel. 

Jared and Lukas taking a fluid break in the pavillion.
Torres hasn't been able to coincide her schedule with ours for several weeks, so, we're hoping the weather won't arrive until we've finished.  Lukas and I encountered only a few short feet of wet trails last week.  While we rode, we felt a few sprinkles that made it through the leaf canopy.  It was such a small amount we kept riding.  And, the sprinkles had stopped by the time we finished the first fast-track set.


This was our first ride in chilly weather this year.  I had to break out a crew neck jersey and top it with a sweat shirt and sweat pants.  I felt ok until we got on the trails, and even though I was moving, I was still too cool to be comfortable, and didn't warm up until we'd been in the park for well over an hour.  I'll have to switch soon, from my gauntlets to full gloves because my fingers got cold.  The good side of it is brisk weather is easier to ride in.  It's a whole lot easier to dress warmer than it is to stay cooler when the Texas temps are soaring into the triple digits.
 
Luke  - stopping on the cliff side.
The boys and I saw several other cyclists out while we were in the park.  People are trying to get in as much ride time as they can while the trails are dry.

However, if this winter is like this past summer, we'll still have loads dry riding weather.  We can cope with the cold, but the "wet" knocks out our access to the trails.

A little clutch of flowers Luke and I found
growing up through a thick tangle
of thorny creepers.


Jared's planning to pick up a new bike on Monday.  We've finally run across a Schwinn 29" that will fit him.  The Raleigh is a great bike, but it's only a 26".  Kim and I found the taller Schwinn in a nearby shop, so Jared's planning to purchase it before it disappears with the holiday shopping that's already started.

Personally, I think it's a great deal.  It's under $300 and it's a Schwinn.  It's hard to go wrong when you buy Schwinn. :)






Have a great day and thanks for the read!!

femme

No comments: