Sunday, November 27, 2011

Trinity Valley Trekking

Alicia finally finally got some Texas dirt under her tires.  We had strong chilly wind to contend with, but she hit it head on with her new Schwinn, and we had a blast.

The ride today at Gateway could have only been better if there had been a little less wind, and if the trails had been a bit more dry.

Paint Ball Players
There was lots of leaf coverage, and it was damp, so it made for some slipping and sliding.  We also had some issues with some kids in the park playing with what I'm assuming were paintball guns.  They seemed to not realize that dumping their guns and ammo in a pile on the trail, while they gathered around for a conflict conference was an acceptable thing to do.  I nearly ran over a couple of them, and their little guns too.  When I braked to avoid a crash, I lost too much momentum to climb the hill past them, which nearly put Alicia running into me from behind.  In their favor, they apologized and cleared themselves and their G.I. Joe gear off the trail as soon as we cleared their spot.

Schwinn, Schwinn and a little more SCHWINN!
Alicia liked the park.  She said it has excellent technical challenges without the high-hill hauling.  The trails are also fairly well marked.  She couldn't actually see that they were well marked because of the leaf-carpet, but it was easy enough to follow in my tire tracks.


Locked and loaded.
While we were unloading, a guy pulled alongside us in a truck and asked if I rode the park frequently.  I confirmed that I do, and he asked if I'd run into any pigs yet.  I had to think a moment, wondering if he meant people who I'd consider rude enough for me to deem them pigs, or if he meant oink-oink-here-piggy-piggy pigs.  He meant the oink-oink-bacon-for-brekkie sort.  Per ham, I mean him, there are several oinkers that have been roaming the trails at Gateway Park recently, and they've even taken up residence in an abandoned house near the park property.  Much to the man's disappointment, I had to tell him that I've not yet encountered pigs of those sort at all during any of my rides on the cycle trails.

Cliff hanging.
He drove off looking disappointed but determined.  He said he's wanting to catch them and keep them.  He didn't have a cage in his truck, so I'm wondering what he'd have done if I'd pointed and said, "Yes!  I've seen pigs in THAT direction!"  Maybe his plan was to let them climb into the truck cab with him.

Nee getting shots of the Trinity below.
So far I've only seen cyclists, walkers and folks walking their dogs on the trails at Gateway.  Today, Nee and I found some tiny pony prints in the soft dirt, but even those type of tracks were a first for me.  And, it must have been a very tiny pony.  The tracks were no wider than the width of my palm.  I wish I coulda seen the pony, or donky, that made them.  I'm betting whatever it was, was really cute!

Tight fit and close riding.
After we completed the three sections of intermediate trails today, we called it quits.  It was pushing 1300, and I was needing to get to bed soon.  However, we took our cycles back to the house, unloaded and made a quick trip to Wally-World.  It was packed.  But, we wormed our way through the peeps buying all sorts of Christmas paraphanalia, and discovered we were the only ones interested in cycling equipment.  I picked up a new helm, because Nee insists that mine, after suffering a melt-down in the diesel-dually, isn't safe.  We got two new hydro packs and some bull extensions for Nee's bars.  It'll help her alot to alleviate carpal tunnel issues when she rides.  At least it helps mine a lot, so I'm assuming it will do the same for her.  If not ... she can hang things on them.  (I'm teasing about that last bit.)

Spokes :)
Before we made it out of the shop, Nee wanted to stop to look at some camera equipment.  I met this really cute and jolly guy in the photo lab.  I asked if I could take his pic for my weblog and he agreed, but he kept asking me to sit in his lap.  I declined the lap-time but DID take his picture and gave him my business card.

"Wanna sit in my lap?"
Hopefully his wife isn't a weblog reader or he's gonna be in a whole lot of trouble when he gets back to that workshop with the short people he kept talking about.  When we left the store, we checked the parking lot thoroughly for reindeer, but didn't see a single one.  I was disappointed, but not enough to climb up and have a look on the roof. 

Alicia, Greg (her husband), and the Cueball (my nephew) will be leaving in the morning.  (Crud!)  And, I'm for sure hating to see them go.  I've loved them being here, and home hasn't seemed quite so far away for the last few days.

Nee loves "parts & pieces" for pics.
Next time it will be my turn to head their way, and I'll get to take my Schwinn on a counter-initiation on some Kentuckiana dirt.  Alicia says the trails there aren't as well set up, but they're a whole lot longer and the paths are much more remote.

Marsh cruise-by before the last
wooded circuit.
I can't wait!!!

'Til next time .... safe spinning!!









2 comments:

nee said...

Had a great time,glad we saw no pigs on the trail and ran over no lazertagers , or whatever they were doing. All I saw was guns in the woods at first then figured out it was not trouble.

Unknown said...

Told Kimi about the "pig alert". The look on her face was priceless, lol.

Guess I'll have to mount a slingshot hook my my bike, and start packing pellets. :p