Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sometimes We Own it & Sometimes We Don't ...

It's been too long since I had opportunity to make a Pack Rides entry.  Not that the pack's been riding much since the last one.  It's been two weeks since we've put in any trail time.

However, Monday brings a whole new week!  We're slated to meet not long after sunrise, to travel some terraine.  I can't wait! (Big smile!)

Last ride out, two of my new upgrades failed.  First my seat fouled, and then a bull-horn extension started slipping.  (Sigh)  And, of course, we didn't have a tool kit.  We gave up on the trails early, but still got some important exploring done while we were there.  We caught up with some other cyclists riding Gateway that gave us directions on how to find a better entrance the next time we visit.  That's a good thing because we're pavement-pedalling for a good ways from the current parking area to any of the trail heads.  The more time we spend on pavement, the less time we have on dirt.
This spot is almost a tiny tunnel.  It joins with the main path
leading to the advanced area.

The whole ride wasn't a flop. I was having fun until my seat started fouling and my handlebar gave way.  But, they're minor issues that will be fixed before Monday's ride.
Waiting on me to put away the cam and get moving ...



Fort Worth Mountain Biker.  Very nice guy.  He gave up
his daylight to give us directions.


One of the cyclists was very cool about explaining the trail areas we've ridden and pointing them out on the map. The map was only confusing me. It made much better sense after he reviewed it with
us.

It was nice of him to break up his ride time for us as well as letting me snap his pic. :)  He also warned us about Sampson Park in west Fort Worth.  He said the pulls are huge and steep, and there are no fast tracks.  Jared and Lukas might like it, but it's not my cup of tea.


The first of the monster hills.  Down, then up, and you
reach the advanced ride section.
This was the first shot I've been able to get of this trail that's proportional and showing what the thing actually looks like.  So far, it's given Jared a toss.  In fact, you might still see an impression of Jared's palm prints embedded in the side of the trail.  Lukas, Torres and I made it down without coming off our saddles but, barely.  My back tire had trouble keeping traction, so most of my trip down it was with my front tire at a different angle from my back tire.  That made for an interesting sensation and added to adrenaline rush.

The footbridge to the downs.  Yup, we rode on it.
We also did a bit off off-track sight-seeing.  Jared had missed the outing the day before when Lukas and I hiked with Kim to the river.  We pulled off of the trail and rode around in the downs. The water is still low, and I didn't go too far into the brush.  Water and brush make great snake beds, so, I parked near the trail and just snapped shots of Jared while he explored.  It's not the best terraine to ride on because of the heavy grasses.  They were dry but deep, and didn't provide great traction.


Jared coming in from his exploration.

I know the leaves are blocking his face, but i liked how the shot turned out any way.  None of us found snakes.  We didn't even hear any rattles. 

Works for me!!

The grass was really dry.  So dry that a lot of it snapped when we rode over it, but, we had rain only a couple of days after this ride.  Hopefully, the area will have greened out a bit since then.
Nope!  No snakes on this run!
Hopefully, Mark, Luke Skywalker and Jared will be able to come with us Monday.  We don't know about Torres yet.  It'll depend on her schedule.  But, for those of us who can get out and get on it, it'll be GREAT!!  We finally have good riding weather here, temperature wise.  We'll be all set as long as it doesn't rain.
They were tired.  We let them rest.
Alicia's been out on her new wheels, and unfortunately, she's not been able to take her Schwinn Sidewinder off road yet.  Where we're lacking in rain, southern Indi is getting more than enough of it.  Their trails are still mudded up, so, she's been restricted to the pavement.  Not nearly as much fun, but it's better than nothing, and it's a temporary set back.

She's still managed to get some good shots on her rides.  I'll post them as soon as she stops sending them in embedded texts to my mobile, and posts them to my email instead.  (Hint!  Hint!)

On a final note, to my cousin, Pastor Kerry Davis - very happy to hear you may be parking your Hoveround!!!  If you'll snag a mountain bike between now and my next trip home, I'll meet you in the woods .... (muhahhhaahahaha!)  Did I sound evil?  Teasing cousin.  You ride with us, and I promise we'll look after you.

That's it for this evening. Thanks much for the read!

'Til next time!

No comments: